PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trial cams friend or foe

+4
Northwoodslayer
NanookOdaNorth
Uncle Bob
talkthewalk
8 posters

Go down

Trial cams friend or foe Empty Trial cams friend or foe

Post by talkthewalk Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:38 pm

Since trail cams came out I've been using them and when they switched to digital with memory cards and a view finder I got hooked on checking them more and more. The better the bucks were the more I went in the woods only to start putting preasure on the same bucks I planed on hunting and by the time the season rolled around I wouldn't see a buck untill the rut. So now I put my them out just before the season at my stand locations and only check em when I plan on hunting that stand. It has made a big difference in the amount of deer I see in a day and what time I see em. How do you deal with cameras?
talkthewalk
talkthewalk
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

http://www.thecompoletedeercallingsystem.com

Back to top Go down

Trial cams friend or foe Empty Re: Trial cams friend or foe

Post by Uncle Bob Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:50 pm

I use them to see what's in the area I'm planning on hunting next fall and any new area I want to check out. I just like to see deer. LOL
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by NanookOdaNorth Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:34 am

That's the toughest thing about trail cameras (besides theft), how does one hang and re-visit a camera without polluting the area with human scent? I think I would just use the camera to inventory what deer are visiting the fields during the summer...then again, that puts the camera out where anybody can find it???
NanookOdaNorth
NanookOdaNorth

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Northwoodslayer Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:16 am

I think trail cams are a great tool, however....... I, personally, like the "boots on the ground" method to find what I am hunting in a given area. To me, unless I see a particular buck, like the suprise of what I might encounter, especially if in the offseason, I find sheds or lots of rubs in an area I get pumped up about the prospects of the new year.
I have found lately that people tend to get "possesive" about deer in an area when they've "caught" them on their trail cam. They get pissy when you harvest/ kill a deer they have been watching. Especially those fellers who have private property that borders public land and practice QDM. Don't get me started Evil or Very Mad
Northwoodslayer
Northwoodslayer

Back to top Go down

Post by TradbowInOregon Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:16 pm

I bought one in 2005 and never used it. Just gave it to my brother in law a couple of weeks ago still in the box. Mostly, I just scout on foot and if I see an area that is being well used, I'll come back a week or two before opening day, and check it again.
TradbowInOregon
TradbowInOregon

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:03 pm

I used to have 6 of them. I would rotate them to different areas & tried to detect an overall travel pattern. I just got to the point that I was over complicating things. I eventually sold them all.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with trail cameras. They are a great tool. Personally, I just don't want to get that technical about my hunting. First, I love being in the woods. Second, I prefer to just wait & see what "gift" THE MOUNTAIN offers me. If I get a shot that's great, if not at least I got to be in the woods. There's something exciting about not knowing what could come by & the uncertain, hopeful anticipation.

For me it boils down to the experience & meat in the freezer is icing on the cake. I'm an equal opportunity killer. Yearling or 12 point Its all meat to me. For me less is more. To each his own.
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by heydeerman Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:26 pm

I liked the old Trail Tamer motion detector that just told you the times something tripped the detector. I have 2 trail cameras and might not use em anymore.
heydeerman
heydeerman

http://www.tradarchers.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:31 am

Well I want to get to the place where I don't use them, but the low deer densities here have me feeling like I have to. It's that or track late season and I don't have the time or experience yet. Although I did learn a lot about tracking this last season. To put meat in the fridge though, I feel I have to start using the cameras. Shipping meet up from GA or TX doesn't turn out to be that easy. I am a conflicted man at this point. Want to keep it simple but need meat in the fridge. I guess there is no short cut to simplicity. Must go through the circles to arrive at the center. Happy for those who have found the center (even if your center means using cameras Very Happy .
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down