PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

anyone getting ready for turkey season?

5 posters

Go down

anyone getting ready for turkey season? Empty anyone getting ready for turkey season?

Post by coreylies Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:31 am

Just bought myself an avian-x from zink's. hoping it well help to fool a weary public land bird this year. i've hunted them for a few years but haven't managed to stick one yet. What are everyone's basic techniques and setups for this year?

coreylies

Back to top Go down

anyone getting ready for turkey season? Empty Re: anyone getting ready for turkey season?

Post by SlowBow Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:47 pm

I am getting ready, but I pretty much stick to firearms for turkey season. I hunted them with a bow for several seasons, no luck. The very next day,after I gave in,and took the gun, I had a bird come in and strut at 10 or 12 yards, with his back to me. I had to wait for him to spin around so I could see his head and shoot, but it was a classic bow kill shot with his back to me.

Figures. I just guessed the universe was trying to tell me something and have not bow hunted them since. Perhaps I will again though, not something I`m going to rule out.
SlowBow
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

anyone getting ready for turkey season? Empty Re: anyone getting ready for turkey season?

Post by TradbowInOregon Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:23 pm

I was hoping to get out this year but, starting a new job and hours don't look like they are going to allow it to happen. Sad
TradbowInOregon
TradbowInOregon

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:25 pm

yep, looking at the ground blind method. Anyone hang from a tree? Buddy of mine got one in KY from a stand not too long ago.
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by TradbowInOregon Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:28 pm

I've never heard anyone hunting them from a tree. Sounds like the ultimate challenge on an already tough to hunt bird!
TradbowInOregon
TradbowInOregon

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:17 pm

I`ve thought about that method. I see a lot of turkeys,have them in bow range on occasion in the fall sometimes when deer hunting. There was a good video a guy posted to YouTube of a turkey kill from a tree stand. He was deer hunting,but had a turkey tag as well and nails a really nice longbeard with his bow instead. I don`t know how it would work in spring, maybe a decoy to distract him. Hey,that might be a safe way to use a decoy on public land. If someone shot it, you`d be out of the way.
SlowBow
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spauldo Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:31 pm

Agreed. I am going to give it a try this year.
Spauldo
Spauldo

Back to top Go down

Post by Uncle Bob Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:57 am

I've never really hunted turkey but I saw so many this past deer season that I might give it a try this year.
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down