PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thick cover or hardwoods?

+4
Waiting4Fall
JAPetry86
NanookOdaNorth
Bchadwick1990
8 posters

Go down

Thick cover or hardwoods? Empty Thick cover or hardwoods?

Post by Bchadwick1990 Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:18 am

I'm currently sitting in a very thick area (furthest I can see is maybe 75 yards). I was wondering if I could get some advice as to wether or not I should hunt a more open area? I am seeing deer but having a tough time getting a shot since its so thick.
Bchadwick1990
Bchadwick1990
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Thick cover or hardwoods? Empty Re: Thick cover or hardwoods?

Post by NanookOdaNorth Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:18 pm

They are there for the security of the thick cover. Stick to your, uh, sticks (I almost said "guns"....a dirty 4 letter word here), and you will be rewarded with a deer. Good luck and keep us posted!
NanookOdaNorth
NanookOdaNorth
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:57 am

I love hunting is the super thick stuff. The trick is getting good shooting lanes

Back to top Go down

Post by JAPetry86 Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:37 pm

My stand locations are much like the women, thick is where its at and thins where its been. Sorry for the funny, I couldn't pass it up!
JAPetry86
JAPetry86

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:43 pm

Smile
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bchadwick1990 Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Hahaha! So I'm guessing I need to stick to the thick cover! The public land I hunt has food plots planted throughout. Once rifle and muzzleloader seasons hit there are less people hunting it since it is bow hunting only. Many people can't wait for muzzle loader season and rifle season so they can shoot further and make it easier on themselves. I can't wait for rifle and muzzle loader season so people will leave the bow only public land lol! They also shut the gates to the entrance of the private land on November 15th which also makes people think twice from hunting since they have to walk even further. This is when I may try to slip into some more open woods.
Bchadwick1990
Bchadwick1990
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by JAPetry86 Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:24 am

Sounds like a great public land set-up with foodplots and bow hunting only. Best bet is to find a corridor between food plots, or from bedding areas near food plots that is thick with cover. Review topo maps of the area and find densly wooded areas near the public hunting lands borders and utilize the pressure from gun hunters and be right in their back door when the door are pressured into the "saftey" no gun hunting zone. Best of luck in the upcoming weeks.
JAPetry86
JAPetry86

Back to top Go down

Post by Bchadwick1990 Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:34 pm

I am trying to learn how to use a topo map and what to look for on topo maps. From what I have read online they can be a great resource if used correctly. I will be sticking to the thick cover since that seems to be the key point from every one so far. I have to admit I do like to be able to see a longggggg ways so this thick cover hunting is hard for me to adjust to. I am trying to drill it in my brain that it doesn't matter if I can see 200 yards becasue I can't shoot that far. Thick cover close to food plots is what I will stick to this year, I think it will benefit me greatly.
Bchadwick1990
Bchadwick1990
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Waiting4Fall Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Bchadwick1990 wrote:I am trying to learn how to use a topo map and what to look for on topo maps. From what I have read online they can be a great resource if used correctly. I will be sticking to the thick cover since that seems to be the key point from every one so far. I have to admit I do like to be able to see a longggggg ways so this thick cover hunting is hard for me to adjust to. I am trying to drill it in my brain that it doesn't matter if I can see 200 yards becasue I can't shoot that far. Thick cover close to food plots is what I will stick to this year, I think it will benefit me greatly.

http://www.publiclandbowhunters.com/t82-mapping-101
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bchadwick1990 Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:32 pm

Wow, awesome! I don't know how I haven't seen this! Thanks!
Bchadwick1990
Bchadwick1990
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by bowman72 Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:44 pm

I like to hunt the edge where thick meets hardwood. Set up on the downwind side of that thick bedding cover. During the rut, bucks like to cruise this downwind edge to find hot does. I used to try and hunt the thick, but it usually wrecks the area. If you can find a way to get in quietly and have some shooting lanes-then hunting the thick can work. Find that edge or a saddle between the thick stuff, my .02.

bowman72

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:58 pm

bowman72 wrote:I like to hunt the edge where thick meets hardwood. Set up on the downwind side of that thick bedding cover. During the rut, bucks like to cruise this downwind edge to find hot does. I used to try and hunt the thick, but it usually wrecks the area. If you can find a way to get in quietly and have some shooting lanes-then hunting the thick can work. Find that edge or a saddle between the thick stuff, my .02.

X2 on this strategy. If your seeing deer in the thick cover, hunt the downwind side of it for trolling bucks during the rut.

Also, keep in mind bucks will "hunt" for does the same way we hunt deer during the rut. They stake out high ground with good visibility and watch doe travel routes for deer to scent check as they return from overnight feeding. Back off scrapes near ridges and trails, and hunt near a thick area or an area of blowdowns downwind near the top of the ridge. That's where he will be.

Don't hunt the trails into the food plots. Hunt trails that parallel them along the downwind edge. A buck will use those to scent check a field for doe as well.
SlowBow
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:30 pm

I like to hunt a ridge right outside of a thicket. When they start chasing does they will more than likely go across the open ridge. After the rut I move back to the thickets.

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by whitetailwick Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:18 pm

X three,thats how I hunt also but you got to find where there feeding first. Ive seen 4 different spots this year after I started putting it all together. good luck!

whitetailwick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down