PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cover scents, Scentblocker

4 posters

Go down

Cover scents, Scentblocker Empty Cover scents, Scentblocker

Post by Guest Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:03 am

With all the cover scents and scent blockers out there makes for a mindbender.. Now You can make home made cover scent and scent blocker. I for one have mixed up some that worked great (have to find the recipes) I have also found that a trick the American Natives did works even better. That trick is when They smoked their buckskins to waterproof them..

Now for spots like Sam Houston National Forest for example. They do burns, So the deer and hogs smell smoke and that doesn't bother them. I started doing it back in 2006 in spots where they don't do burns, but in winter a lot of homes have fireplaces so the smell of smoke is around.. I have seen deer come walking to the smell of My clothes.. Now I'm not it will work for everyone or in every State.

What do You like or use, I do also like dead down wind, but find home made is just as good.

Back to top Go down

Cover scents, Scentblocker Empty Re: Cover scents, Scentblocker

Post by heydeerman Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:50 pm

I smoke my clothes with applewood chips. Smoke does not spook deer and actually adds carbon to the fibers of the clothes which absorbs odor.
heydeerman
heydeerman
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.tradarchers.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by TradbowInOregon Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:05 pm

I've come to the conclusion that smoking your clothes works pretty good in the areas that I hunt.
TradbowInOregon
TradbowInOregon

Back to top Go down

Post by heydeerman Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:16 pm

I use a scent smoker.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2009/11/scent-smoker-scent-elimination-system-looks-promising
heydeerman
heydeerman

http://www.tradarchers.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by TradbowInOregon Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:20 pm

That's pretty neat. Thanks for the link!
TradbowInOregon
TradbowInOregon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:37 pm

I posted in DIY how to make homemade scent killer

Back to top Go down

Post by Northwoodslayer Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:55 pm

I keep my clothes clean washing them in an earth scented soap. I then put them in a sealed box with earth scented dryer sheets. They are stored that way all year and when season is about to start, I put balsam boughs in the boxes to add even more natural scent. All thru season I spray my clothes down with an earth scented spray. I don't use scent blocker clothes. Clean is the key! I wear lots of wool, heavy and light. I also have chamois shirts and pants. I layer with Under Armor and Patagonia products.
I keep myself as scent free as possible. It helps as I have had many animals a mere 10 yds. downwind and not know the kid was in town!
Northwoodslayer
Northwoodslayer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:23 pm

I get a kick out of the hunting shows and scent block this, scentloc that... The American Natives just used smoke to seal the buck skins and played the wind.. This is something I even work on.. They didn't need this or that, only using this type soap or that spray... I have seat in a ground blind after work one day in the summer. I was sweating up a storm working on My blind.

As I was resting for a few minutes and a light breeze blowing, There was a DOE that can right up to My blind and started to eat some leaves off the cut branches I just layed down. The deer had no Idea I was there till I said "Hello there Girl" Boom She took off like She saw a Ghost..

Like I said I do like dead down wind, But just for My boots

Back to top Go down

Post by AK0tA Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm

I think I have tried every spray, lotion and scent blocker known to mankind and have yet to find any thing as natural or effective as smoking your cloths. It's cheap and natural and probably causes less cancer than the cool stuff they fabricate. I think more than scent it's about your movement's. I have killed nice big deer with gas and oil on my boots just coming off the tractor and hitting the stand, I think that fresh tractor scent is not something they associate with danger.
AK0tA
AK0tA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down