PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long Bow vs Recurve

+8
Backwaters Bowhunter
recurveit
dirtdobber
ripforce
southernarcher
vortex1
Miller-TD#2
Saxton
12 posters

Go down

Long Bow vs Recurve Empty Long Bow vs Recurve

Post by Saxton Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:03 pm

I am a compound guy. But the idea of using traditional peaks my interest.
My question is; It seems like I see more long bow's being used than recurve's. Why do you choose one over the other?

Saxton

Back to top Go down

Long Bow vs Recurve Empty Re: Long Bow vs Recurve

Post by Miller-TD#2 Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:48 pm

I have a Windal Miller Takedown, custom made riser, the second he ever made [R.I.P.], it is a recurve. I chose it over a long bow due to I can break it down and crawl thru/to those places you might avoid.....

I had a compound -once- toooo many contraptions, but to each his own.......

Last edited by Miller-TD#2 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : editting)
Miller-TD#2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by vortex1 Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:32 pm

I have a Quinn stallion Recurve. its a take down. Ive shot more recurves than long bows, but i never found a long bow that felt good in my hand like my curve bow. still pretty new to trad though. Its all personal preferance. Smile
vortex1
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by southernarcher Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:13 am

Most compound guys convert to recurve easier due to the grip. Also most recurve are cut to center or past. While you can get longbow with different grips, a large number are only low wrist. Also most aren't cut to center, but some are. As for performance most modern r/d hybrids perform on or above the same level.

southernarcher

Back to top Go down

Post by ripforce Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:39 am

I started with a Samick Takedown recurve cause everyone I knew that shot Trad shot a recurve. My son LimbLover bought a Bama Hunter longbow, I shot his and was instantly hooked on them, I then ordered one for myself a Bama Hunter 50@28, still have that one, know I have 2 Bama Expeditions Relfex/Deflex longbow, Hickory selfbow, Great Northern Bushbow and a Bama Tribute longbow that is a Howard Hill tribute bow! Longbows are not for every one most of the guys I shoot with all shoot Black widows and Predator recurves! My two R/D longbows shoot a lot like a recurve, they haved dished handles and are cut to center! Longbows tend to be a lot lighter in the hand cause of the smaller thats a feature I really like, plus they very quiet without silencers on them! For me there is just a romance or a allure about the longbow as long as I can shoot that is the only type of bow for me!
ripforce
ripforce

Back to top Go down

Post by dirtdobber Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:28 pm

As said above, personal preference, I shoot both but love my longbow and hunt with it, finding one that fits you well is the most important, all are fun to shoot!

dirtdobber

Back to top Go down

Post by recurveit Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:01 pm

I have both. Don't know which i like best yet. I have noticed that once you get one you have to get more.lol. I've only had my longbow a couple months. The samick sage is what started with and still have. I love it.
recurveit
recurveit

Back to top Go down

Post by Backwaters Bowhunter Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:04 am

I have a take down longbow, made by Jeff Carter at Southern Draw. The longbow was quieter than the recurves I shot. Personal preference, as long as it shoots straight, it'll kill stuff.
Backwaters Bowhunter
Backwaters Bowhunter
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by heydeerman Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:39 am

I have both and shoot both often. I prefer to hunt with the longbow. They are inherently quieter than recurves but that's not always the case. The funny thing with me is my longbows have a recurve grip and my #1 recurve has a longbow grip.
heydeerman
heydeerman

http://www.tradarchers.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella1962 Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:02 pm

I have owned and shot recurves, but I now own and prefer a longbow. It is a Samick SLB II 69" 45# slightly RD. No hand shock, and 69" is a smoooooth draw.
I've thought about getting a recurve, but they seem louder to me. Also I shoot instinctive so I don't need a big sight window. I don't like that long flat arrow shelf on many recurves. I like my short radiused shelf.

oldfella1962

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella1962 Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:15 pm

Miller-TD#2 wrote:I have a Windal Miller Takedown, custom made riser, the second he ever made [R.I.P.], it is a recurve. I chose it over a long bow due to I can break it down and crawl thru/to those places you might avoid.....

I had a compound -once- toooo many contraptions, but to each his own.......
HA! Yes these modern compounds are something else. A LEVEL? Really? A bubble within the lines level? Are you building a house or hunting? Guess you don't cant a compound then, right? Even if my longbow were cut past center I still wouldn't feel right holding it vertically. The bow is covering the target! I need both eyes open and a clear view of the target.

oldfella1962

Back to top Go down

Post by wandering monk Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:02 am

probably the reason you notice more longbows is because a lot of "converts" go full bore...there is a romance for sure about shooting them...I have enjoyed shooting both for a long time...recurves are a bit better in the performance area...FPS in particular, plus they are also a bit less cumbersome...

as stated by another here the grip on a recurve is more similar to a compound...actually that is where the design came from...compunds are hard to beat especially with all the generous deer seasons popping up everywhere...especially when it comes to the longer shots...but for me I like the lighter weight gear...and I generally hunt in areas where those longer shots arent  possible anyway...dark timber and thickets...

its really just a more old school or primitive approach to a fun pursuit...I was actually schooled on trad gear by my dad a long time back...so compounds were actually considered the different item...

having a bit more of a challenge is something a lof of folks relish...plus making their own gear....I would compare it to working on old trucks, making your own beer, growing a garden etc...a little closer to the earth...

I will say that the newer trend among traditional gear is slightly distasteful for me...carbon arrows painted up like wood??and of course all the super camo , high tech heads & all the gizmos associated with modern archery gear...I still enjoy harvesting deer and other big game with a pair of jeans on and maybe a green or gray wool shirt on with a hand sharpened broad head on an wood arrow I made myself, and in my case even a bow I made myself too......being still and quiet...plus watching the wind still seems the best "gizmo" I have ever found yet...Very Happy
wandering monk
wandering monk

http://www.wmflyrodco.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hoyt Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:39 am

I started with recurves back in the 50's and less my compound days stayed with them. Just not enough to love for me in a longbow's appearance to get me interested.

Currently hunting with a 64" Big Foot Sasquatch T/D
PTF-X 62" Black Widow
Quinn Stallion 64" T/D

hoyt
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by heydeerman Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:46 am

southernarcher wrote:Most compound guys convert to recurve easier due to the grip. Also most recurve are cut to center or past. While you can get longbow with different grips, a large number are only low wrist. Also most aren't cut to center, but some are. As for performance most modern r/d hybrids perform on or above the same level.

Southernarcher is correct about recurves being cut to or past center. But I would contend that most compound bows today have a more longbow like slender grip with a low wrist. I have a Hoyt Buffalo recurve and it is basically the same grip on their compound risers and it is more like the grip on my BBO longbow than any of my other bows.
heydeerman
heydeerman

http://www.tradarchers.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down