PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Major Flooding Problem

4 posters

Go down

Major Flooding Problem Empty Major Flooding Problem

Post by neonate Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:27 pm

All of my public land I hunt, both Federal and State has been flooded out from massive rains and causing the local river to flood them almost completely out! My question is, after the water recedes, will deer move back into there old territory in this land, or will it take a couple years for populations to randomly move in and reestablish again? I was scouting just prior to the floods and found ample deer sign and would hate to have my fall season blown already. Do I find somewhere else, or stick with it this coming season? Thanks!

neonate

Back to top Go down

Major Flooding Problem Empty Re: Major Flooding Problem

Post by PineywoodsBow Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:57 am

as long there is food, they will be back. I would definitely find a back up area just in case though...
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:58 pm

They'll be back as soon as the water recedes. One of the areas I hunt is along the Potomac River. It floods out completely when a hurricane or tropical storm comes through, and large areas if it flood seasonally with spring and fall. The deer are used to this, and while it creates a temporary problem, the resulting growth from fertile sediment deposited by the flood waters brings them back quickly. I wouldn't let it worry you at all. The damp muddy ground will offer good fresh sign, and by summer, it's going to be as dry as a tinder box, and you can be sure the sign you find is fresh!
SlowBow
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:53 pm

The deer will flow back in as the water flows out. Here's an interesting gps study on deer movement during flooding.

http://www.qdma.com/galleries/bucks-are-loyal-to-home-ranges-come-hell-or-high-water
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by neonate Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:47 pm

Most of the water has receded, and all signs point to the return of the deer! Thanks for the input guys.

neonate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down