PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homemade Arrows

3 posters

Go down

Homemade Arrows Empty Homemade Arrows

Post by bearnasty Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:48 pm

Hey guys,

So I just got my first recurve last week and wanted to start to make some arrows for it. After watching a few videos on youtube I decided that I would make some arrows out of wooden dowels. I bought six 36" x 3/8" poplar dowel rods. I went through about 50 to find the six that had the best grain and straightness.

Once home I cut in the nock and reinforced it with dental floss. I used duct tape for the fletchings. Each arrow has 4 fletchings about 90 degrees apart. Once the fletchings were on I cut the tape to the shape I wanted.

Today I am going to go and by a sheet of 16 gauge weldable steel to make board heads with and also going to by some oak dowel rods. I have attached a picture of the poplar arrows without the board heads. I will add pictures of the completed arrows either tonight of sometime tomorrow. Hope you enjoy and good luck to anyone still hunting.

Thanks.
[img][/img][url=Homemade Arrows Arrows10]Homemade Arrows Arrows10[/url]

bearnasty

Back to top Go down

Homemade Arrows Empty Re: Homemade Arrows

Post by Cbigbear Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Those are cool. Let us know how they fly.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by bearnasty Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:38 pm

Currently I just have a bear hair rest so ill be shooting off the shelf for now. I'll see how they shoot and if they dont do to well I have a raised rest I can switch too. Thanks for the heads up.

bearnasty

Back to top Go down

Post by bearnasty Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Haha, I hope i dont sound to much like an amateur but this week is the first I have ever shot Trad.

bearnasty

Back to top Go down

Post by bearnasty Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:35 pm

I have the Bear Weatherest and have read that it is easier to turn and often get more consistent results with it than shooting off the shelf.

I plan on getting some nice arrows in about a month but went this route just so I could start shooting. I'm sure these arrows will shoot completely different since they are not spined or weighted equally.

Any tips that you could offer, I would really appreciate it.

bearnasty

Back to top Go down

Post by crooketarrow Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:30 am

First off BEAR you need to use feathers and plastic. You can't get good arrow flight. With plistic if you do'nt have a shoot through rest.

I've been building and shooting shoot arrows for 15 plus years. I also make my own trade points. I use old saw mill blades I pick up a flea markets. It's 1095 steel a good edge steel. Anything up to 18's is 1/8 inch thick. Anything over 18 inchs is 3/16 th's thick.
I perfer the 1/8" for trade points. But for heavyer over 200 grains use the 3/16 th's. I like useing the 3 to 1 ratio. INCH WIDE 3 LONG.
You can aneal (take out the hardess and temper) gride to form you want. REHARDEN AND RETEMPER them. They shapen really good stay shape no roll back on bone. WITH THE 3 TO 1 RATIO you get around 175 to 180 grain points.

crooketarrow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down