PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proper etiquette when the lot's full.

+5
Claydoh
Cbigbear
Liv4Rut
Waiting4Fall
msaskins
9 posters

Go down

Proper etiquette when the lot's full. Empty Proper etiquette when the lot's full.

Post by msaskins Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:11 pm

So, what do you guys do when there's like 10 or more vehicles on the lot when you show up?
I like to get there early enough to catch a few as we're dressing up in the lot to find out where everyone's heading to.
I try to stop and check with my binoculars every 20 yards or so when I'm going in for an evening hunt, but some guys just storm through the woods right under my tree without even trying to keep their distance.

I'd like to see a conservation area map in the lot where everyone marks their location so you have an idea where to avoid.
(Anyone do this?)
Sometimes I've gone in with a certain spot in mind based on wind direction only to find someone else beat me to it, then you've got to backtrack and guess where the other 7 hunters might be.

So, what's "proper etiquette" when going in when there's a full house?
msaskins
msaskins
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Proper etiquette when the lot's full. Empty Re: Proper etiquette when the lot's full.

Post by Waiting4Fall Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:34 pm

Brotha, Unless schedule/obligations dictate differently I try to ALWAYS be the "First one in"! I'm talking I'm up @ 3am, 30 minute drive. NOBODY is there, prolly most still in bed! Then an hour + walk to the stand, still there a solid hour before grey light. If you can, always try to be the first one in.

Couple questions for ya.
1- Have you got online & looked at the ENTIRE AREA? If it were me, I'd be marking all the heavy traffic parking spots. Then I'd be looking at the farthest areas away from those spots that have great, hard to get to terrain structures. Then scout em out as usual.
2- How many acres is your area?
3- How many parking areas?
4- What about places beside the road, to pull off?

Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Proper etiquette when the lot's full. Empty Re: Proper etiquette when the lot's full.

Post by msaskins Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:50 pm

The one I've been hunting this year is only 695 acres, but there's a LOT of deer . . . and a LOT of hunters.
Every evening I count at least 20-25 does in the one field I've been concentrating on. It's right at 1 mile from the parking lot and seems to get the least amount of traffic.
There aren't any places to pull off the road at since it's surrounded by the river on 3 sides. I'm usually the first one in (morning and evening - I get there around 4:30 in the morning or right at noon for an evening hunt when everyone's gone).
I haven't hunted this in 20 years and I'm staying out of the BEST spots this year (I'll scout those areas in February since I haven't been there in so long - It's kind of swampy and hard to access and I don't want to go in blind . . . Last I was there was 20 years ago and Google Earth pictures were all taken in the summer so it's not much help). I know the good areas from years ago, and that's where everyone else is at so I just want to know what to do next year when I know we'll all be scrambling for a stand site every morning.

I see blue ribbons in some of the branches, but I don't really know what that means. The ones I've seen haven't had any stands or recent hunter sign . . .
Does a certain color ribbon have a certain meaning on public land?
I've hunted private land for so long, I don't know what proper public land etiquette is . . .
msaskins
msaskins

Back to top Go down

Post by Liv4Rut Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:39 pm

WOW, I would be lucky to see two cars on a 1500 acre piece of public any time of the day or year outside of shotgun season. I guess we are lucky.

Liv4Rut

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:28 pm

I would look at accessing this property from the water. Going in by boat is my favorite way to access public land. I find this method makes it easier to get away from the crowds.

Also one other tip when using Google Earth you have the ability to view historical images. The image maybe 5-1O yrs old but you can usually find a late winter shot that allows a good look at the property.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Claydoh Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:01 pm

Late season, there is usually not even one truck in the lot. I will go to another if i see one. I hate the idea of walking into somebodys set. I like the idea of a map you mark with your intended spot. That would require a lot of cooperation though. But yeah, I am on the road by 3am.
Claydoh
Claydoh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pig_Pen Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:11 am

As far as I know the color of the ribbon doesn't mean anything except as a way to identify your own trail markings. I agree with Mr. Mullins about being the first one in. I have gone in and have been completely set up in the tree 1 1/2 hours before legal light, just to ensure I am in first.

You may want to try changing stategies and start hunting escape routes. If there is that many people in there you need to hunt the hunters. Grab a map of the area and mark every location you have seen people, trash at the base of a tree, ribbons, reflective markers anything that indicates someone is in there. You should be able create a pattern of other hunters and areas that see very little traffic. When you have identified the heavy use areas look for the quiet zones that the deer will run to when bumped out of the hot areas and how they will get there. That may be a small ridge, bottom, thick batch of brush or anything that will direct them on their way out. Hang a stand on be on high alert.

I have used this plan for the last 5 years here in Illinois and my deer sightings and tag expenses has gone up dramatically!

Good Luck!

Pig_Pen

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:09 pm

I usually find myself hutning areas of several thousand acres or larger. It`s not uncommon to have four or five trucks in the lot going in after work (I`m usually the first in the morning) but I never really bump into anyone. I`ve usually scouted the other hunters spots and know where they`ll be anyways.

Go ahead and head in, if you do have someone let you know they are there,don`t just go ahead and climb up anyways. That ticks me off to no end,had it happen several times,guys know I`m there and climb up 30 yards away anyways, like it`s the only tree in the woods they can use.

You shouldn`t "not hunt" public land just because others are.If you run into someone,proper thing to do is back out slowly and quietly the way you came in.Hopefully, you`ll have a fallback spot scouted within a quick 10 minute walk to use.
SlowBow
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NanookOdaNorth Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:53 pm

I don't see many guys in the public areas that I hunt during the archery deer season, but I do have a problem during Spring gobbler when I'm the first one there and I'm working a bird and the next yo-yo parks right next to my truck and tries to sneak in to kill the bird I'm calling. Even a guy who is deaf in one ear and can barely hear anything with the other ear should be able to figure out that the guy who parked there first is probably already working the bird that is gobbling his fool head off!
NanookOdaNorth
NanookOdaNorth

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Marylandbowhunter Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:12 am

I tend to shy away from the areas that are hunted more. The one thing I have always said about public hunting is hunt the hunters. Find out where they like to go and use them to your advantage.

Marylandbowhunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:39 pm

I don't use marking tape or brighteyes for the main reason I don't want others to know where I'm at. Some ppl just don't care about others.

I try and find 2 or 3 ways to get to My area, just in case there is a lot full of cars/trucks. I'll walk 2 miles out of My way so I don't run in to others. Now there is good and bad that can happen.
1> You or someone can jump game as they/You come walking in and ruin a hunt.
2> You or someone pushes game right to a stand setup to help the hunter out, Just like a deer drive.

When I'm in the woods and I know there maybe others hunting, I slow way down and look high and low. I have walked passed one hunter that didn't even see me. It took Me 1hr to cover 30 yards just to get on the otherside of his stand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down