PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deer decoys

4 posters

Go down

Deer decoys Empty Deer decoys

Post by Publicbuck Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:11 pm

Does anyone use a decoy on public ground during archery season?

Publicbuck

Back to top Go down

Deer decoys Empty Re: Deer decoys

Post by Waiting4Fall Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:15 pm

I used to, with success. It got to the point that I couldn't carry everything in. That's all changed now, with the new setup. It's something I'm considering utilizing again. Team a decoy up with some real tarsal glands, SON it's on!!!! Smile
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lastoftheloaners Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:41 pm

yes i use a doe decoy , I leave the leg's at home just set the body on the ground . with erect ears . looks bedded down.

lastoftheloaners

Back to top Go down

Post by crooketarrow Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:14 pm

I do use decoys in the late pre-rut up, rut up to the post-rut. Not that you can't do it at other times. But at other times I use other tatic's.
First off there best used where they can be see. Or where you can call them to where they can see it. My favort way same with decoys and gobblers.
One of my favort ways is this. All of our PL and NF ground around here in WV are mountainess.I love to hunt the finger ridges leading up to and down out of mature buck bedding areras.
Scoutting I know by rub lines what size and what finger there useing comeing from their bedding area.

THIS GIVES YOU A REALLY GOOD STARTING POINT. YOU KNOW WHERE THE BUCKS AT AND WHERE HE STARTING FROM IN THE EVENINGS.

Always hunting the wind (PERIOD) in sures 2 things he can smell you. Nor can he smell the other (DECOY) buck. I DON'T WHAT HIM TO SMELL THE DECOY RIGHT AWAY. So he either has to see him when he comes down out of his bed. Or what I like to do is paint a picture. Do ALITTLE CALLING to get the buck to come on down your way to see the decoy. Not smelling a new comer him drives mature bucks insain.
I set the decoy up 15, 20 yards below me faceing up hill and put him as far over the up wind side of the finger as I can. But no more than 20 ,25 yards.So when he comes to the decoy he has to go pass you and between you and the decoy.
I do use a little buck urine not right on the decoy but in a film canester. Set real close to the decoy. I want to be able to seal it up and take it along.
Your set up down wind of the decoy so when he gets between you and the decoy. He can then smell him. He's looking away and wiffing the decoy he already a little ways past you. So his atention totally on your decoy.

GIVEING YOU ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD TO DRAW.

Feilds I set up a little different.
Again I set up on edges of bedding thickets or wood lots mosty. Here I like placeing the decoy looking straight at me. Bucks always come to a buck decoy from the front or front side. Doe decoys from the rear. Just like gobbles come to decoys.
So you want the decoy set up to where when he comes between you and thre decoy. He's angleing away uselly offering a quartering shot. AGAIN looking away. It's easy drawing.
Open fiield set ups are great simply because other bucks can see them from a distance. He you can't beat as nort-wees now. But remember when SNORT-WEESING don't have a big set of antlers on you decoy.
Snort-Weesing YOUR BUCK IS SHOWING AGRESSION along with big anlers your projecting more agression to bucks with smaller anters than your decoy has.Unless your going after big doment bucks or agressive bucks. Those huge antlers will cause other bucks will tuck their tails and move away. Scared to death.

Decoying the PRE-RUT works really good. The bucks are really keys to find that first doe. And won't alow any other bucks around him at this time. A TIME OF AGREEION TOWANRD OTHER BUCKS.

When the RUT hits decoys work good best with doe sounds. Or a doe buck decoys. Now your working or 2 amosions for painting a different picture and just one of agression. Other bucks see what their missing out on and with try to slide right on in. Or at least give it a try.

Early POST RUT you get bucks looking for that last doe. SO ANY DOE SOUNDS REALLY HELP OUT.But unless the bucks are really agressive, most bucks THAT ARE IN THE BREEDING PECKING ORDER. (most mature bucks) are either worn out be hurt in fights by other bucks and really don't want to even see another buck.

So I leave the post-rut with buck decoys alone. I stick with doe decoys now and make a lot of doe( sounds) calls.
Smaller bucks that are not in the BREEDING PECKING ORDER are quick to show up now to any doe sounds.
KNOWING THOSE BIG MATURE BUCKS ARE EITHER WORN OUT A LITTLE SLOW TO REACT BECAUSE OF FIGHTS AND BEING HURT. OR HAVE BEEN KILLED BY NOW.
Personally I love the post rut as much as I love the pre-rut and rut. Just not for decoying.
Here's the season starts OCT 1 ST TO JAN. 1 ST. I LOVE IT ALL. You just have to use different tatics for different times and at places.

I can't beleive the people that hunt the same way, same stand sites OCT,NOV ,DEC AND EVEN JAN. for some of you. And never change and just say well I gess there's no deer here or I gess they'll all been killed. Very,very few stand cna obble up for different times of the year.
Have to ever wandered why the deer are right back there next year. Somebody did come by and drop them off. No the change patterenrs with seasons (time). And your still setting in that same stand all year.

crooketarrow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by lastoftheloaners Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:39 pm

crook, well written, I agree with you on decoying, I hunt for scrapes in my area then use the bedded doe decoy to attract attention just for a few seconds till i get a shot. i dont put it out where can be seen till a buck or doe arrives at the scrape and does do hang around scrapes to that is why a buck makes them LOL . also i move like you said quite a bit if a scrape isn't active no reason to hunt it and if it is you should get a shot within 2 days of setting on it. if you dont ya prolly scared it off and dont know it. when i find what looks to be active scrape i drop couple twigs in a x or weed stems on the scrape when i check it again if there still there i dont hunt it if there gone i know a buck is using it regular and i usually get a shot first day i hunt it . on fields and open areas i use a decoy same way as you.

lastoftheloaners

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down