PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you hunt

4 posters

Go down

How do you hunt Empty How do you hunt

Post by Parkersdad Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:10 am

I just thought it would be neat for everyone to describe how you hunt. I hunt Uwharrie National Forest in Montgomery county North Carolina. It is mountainous terrain. I carry a Lone Wolf tree stand most of the time since they are lite and pack flat. If I am going to sit all day I take my Summit Viper. Also I usually hunt within 1/2 mile of the road. I used to hunt further but two years ago I was tagged out so I would go up and scout and meet friends for lunch. I drove by a spot I like to hunt and a big 8 point was chasing does 75 yards from the road. My buddy was in my spot 1/2 mile in. I now hunt closer to the road and see more deer. The key thing I have found is to keep moving and suprise them. So how do you hunt?

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

How do you hunt Empty Re: How do you hunt

Post by PineywoodsBow Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:06 pm

quietly, and hopefully scent-free Very Happy
PineywoodsBow
PineywoodsBow
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Miller-TD#2 Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:46 pm

I just go.....no really.

I used to go deep into the forest, but with so many new roads being built it's hard to do in some places. So I tend to keep to the roadways some, but that is only when the need arises.

Where I am currently, it is about 3/4 mile back from the road, or 1.5 on the trail, wind has a big factor in that distance. If i know beforehand that I need to re-scout, then the distance may be greator or lesser, due to pressure.

I tend to glide creeks and gulley's looking for buck-sign mostly on the thermal side of the hill when possible. If not then a good set of bino's help. Shadow's are important, especially when using treestands, I have sat for a spell in a good area just to watch the trees noticing the cast of the shadow patterns.

When trees are a factor, I like to pre-build as natural as possible a ground blind setting, keeping enough room to move about.....I always take a samich and coffee....

Another tall-tale is to notice if there are remnants of perm-stands in the trees, usually a good sign, but bad for the "public land", if it was good enough once then it may be good now - years later.

I am all for a good hike, I always try to park in the same place but if'n you get the itchin' to follow me into the woods, I may divert just to see how far you are willing to go........
Miller-TD#2
Miller-TD#2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by NanookOdaNorth Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:04 am

I look for water to cross, there usually isn't much company on the other side. I also like to hunt the high side of a rocky washout area...deer usually cross through areas like this on the high side. Even if there isn't much for deer sign in an area like this, it's still a great place to wait for a buck...not much sign means they do not spend much time there, just pass through.
NanookOdaNorth
NanookOdaNorth
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down