PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you carry?

+10
Saxton
minnesota_muley
SlowBow
bowonly
NanookOdaNorth
wandering monk
Backwaters Bowhunter
8upbowhunter
Waiting4Fall
Wolfshead
14 posters

Go down

What do you carry? Empty What do you carry?

Post by Wolfshead Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:49 am

Backwaters Bowhunter got me thinking about what you carry into the woods on your hunts. I know different hunts require different things, but on your average hunts, what do you carry?
Maybe you can explain your type of hunt and the things you deem nessesary for that particular hunt.
Maybe something you did not have at one time, and that you carry now and why, etc...
I am thinking mostly deer, but those other big type hunts (like Elk for example) in the really big woods are very intriguing to me too.
I am interested in this one.
Wolfshead
Wolfshead
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

What do you carry? Empty Re: What do you carry?

Post by Waiting4Fall Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:26 pm

I'm answering by using 2 of my videos. The first video is a few years (6-7) old.

The second video shows how I've adopted the "Less is more" philosophy with my public land, bow hunting approach.

This is a great thread, started by Wolfshead, I hope lot's of folks add to it.

Video #1

Video #2  (begin at 3:47)
Waiting4Fall
Waiting4Fall
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD
FORUM CREATOR/ADMIN/MOD

https://publiclandbowhunters.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 8upbowhunter Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:36 pm

On my deer hunts I have my backpack strapped to my stand. Backpack weighs about 25# and stand weighs 29#. My walk in can be anywhere from a few hundred yards to 2 miles depending the area I am hunting. In my pack are 2 bottles of water, 2 sandwiches, a snack, range finder, GPS, compas, safety harness rope, spare release, assorted calls, rain gear if expecting rain, parka and bibs strapped to my pack if cold out, knife, flashlight, TP, rope and other assorted items. I hunt alone or with my son and usually I am the first vehicle there in the morning and the last one out in the evening so I carry everything that I can think of that I might need. I am sure I forgot to list something but that is most of what I carry. Most of the items I now carry got in my pack because at some point I needed it and didn't have it with me so when I got home I added it to my pack. It may be over kill but if I need something I usually have it.

I will be leaving for a DIY elk hunt in three weeks so I have removed a few deer specific items from my pack and replaced them with elk gear like calls etc but most of the other stuff is still in my pack. I will adjust my gear when I get to Colorado if I need to.

8upbowhunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfshead Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:22 am

8up,
Thanks for that, and welcome to this great site!
Good luck and best wishes in Colorado! That is a bucket list/dream hunt of mine. Maybe someday...

Dave,
As always great videos
Wolfshead
Wolfshead
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Backwaters Bowhunter Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:57 am

Seem to always carry,
compass
map
Mora knife
flint fire starter
folding saw
snakebite kit (warm weather)
pocket notebook/pencil
All fit in my pockets. No backpack.
Backwaters Bowhunter
Backwaters Bowhunter
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by wandering monk Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:12 am

I carry a small teardrop day pack on my back I got from cabelas several years ago......I try to keep it as light as possible, but also have everything I could need in any situation...the list has changed many times over the years, but here is what it looks like now. I have gotten this to about 13 lbs...the hatchet adds some, but its great at times...especially in spliiting an Elk etc.the line and pulley are absolutes...

.wyoming saw
.two knives for skinning etc.
.25 feet of 5/16" braided line
.small shiv( pulley)
.(2)waterproof container with some dry shavings and matches...also a plastic lighter
.small first aid stuff
.extra cotton gloves
.two small flashlights
.small hatchet
.two bottles of water
.small cotton rag 12" X 12" for clean ups.
.license pouch with pen
.leatherman tool
.compass and topo map
.whistle
.extra heads and file, basic repair stuff & extra bowstriin with nocks and silencers
.appropriate calls etc
.at least one meal and some power bars or trail mix...
.camera!

cell phones ususlly dont work where I am ...but having one along doesnt hurt...in my truck I have the mother lode...bigger frame pack and pillow cases and plastic bags etc.I ususally hunt within 1-2 miles of where I camp or park...
wandering monk
wandering monk

http://www.wmflyrodco.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NanookOdaNorth Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:15 pm

Depends on the hunt...if I'm just getting out for a little while after work I will bring the bare necessities: Bow, arrows, hunting knife, treestand, safety harness, flashlight, deer drag, TP, cellphone, camera and release.

For the all day hunts, or hunting spots farther from the road, I will add a fanny pack with GPS, compass, map, water bottle, snacks, first aid kit, clean socks and folding tree saw.
NanookOdaNorth
NanookOdaNorth

http://www.ShopBuckClark.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bowonly Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:16 pm

I have a hip pack that is brimming with supplies for my all day sits:
2 water bottles, rope, limb saw, knife, MRE(has TP in it), an additional snack, various calls (grunt tube, can call, rattle bag), bottle of scent killer, compass, gps, 2 headlights, extra batteries, extra release, allen wrench set, doe pee(usually with a drag rag and scent wicks), bow hanger, pen, deer tags, drag strap, extra clothes or raingear, reflective tape, rangefinder and binoculars.  I'm usually wearing my safety harness on the walk in.  If I can remember I'll take a picture and post it up when I get time.

What do you carry? 2013-08-22_15-41-06_5271_zpsd1d48fc5

Last edited by bowonly on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
bowonly
bowonly

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:32 pm

Treestand (must be removed daily here)on my back, bow and quiver in hand,headlamp,worn, in vest if light out. Also in vest, GPS, cell phone, knife, release aid, TP, license, deer tags, pen to fill out tags, rope to pull up bow, safety belt (harness is worn over clothing), video camera, extra batteries, pee jug, apples to snack and cover breath odor, small bottle of scent killer spray,grunt call, perhaps this year the "talk the walk" call, range finder,bottle of water and maybe a Coke.Extra pair of camo gloves ( I seem to always drop one), On harness belt is folding camera arm and attached ratchet strap with bow hanger attached. On occasion, sandwich or snacks for all day hunt. During the rut I will also carry a doe can call and a scent kit in a ziploc that includes doe pee and drag with scent pads.
SlowBow
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by minnesota_muley Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:27 am

It depends on the sit. If I'm gone for a few days and sitting all day, there will obviously be more in the pack than if I sit for a few hours after work.

Things I always carry:
tags/licenses, compass, gps, extra batteries, 2 knives (1 knife has interchangeable blades with a blade, saw, and hook), leatherman, rope, bottle of cover scent, grunt tube, can call, rattle bag, a couple granola bars, bottle of water, matches, TP. rangefinder, binoculars, tree/shrub pruner,

In my car I keep things like extra peep tube, spare release, spare rest, extra arrows, allen wrench, hatchet, extra clothes, socks and boots, broadheads. I also keep my game cart in the vehicle. I always bring along my block target too. Usually after each morning hunt I'll take some shots just to make sure my setup is still in good shape.

minnesota_muley
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Saxton Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:41 pm

My pack is a lot like the ones here; some the exact and some a little more/less.

the one thing that I see some have is a folding saw. I use to carry one, but now carrry hand snipper. It can cut limbs up to around an inch +-. It is just a regular pair, not racheting. I just work it on to this limb and keep squeezing until it cuts through,

Less work than a folding saw. If the limb is larger than an inch I am SOL, but rarley to I run into that.

Also, I always have my deer sled in the truck for dragging.

Saxton

Back to top Go down

Post by vortex1 Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:14 pm

Bow, knife, bottle of water, flagging tape, bow hanger,harness, treestand,saw, pruners, and a will to kill.Smile
vortex1
vortex1
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Cbigbear Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:32 pm

I always have my medium Alice pack whether hunting or scouting just can't leave home without it.

My pack doubles as a game bag when I kill & along with my pack a carry a Loc-on Limit stand & one LW stick. I normally wear my harness since it weight less than 1/2 lb.

In my pack
-knife
-thermacell & refills
-garbage bags - utility size (for waders & rain coat), regular size (line my bag if a kill)
-roll of TP
-headlamp & backup batteries
-grunt & dirty little doe calls
-gloves
-pull rope
-saw
-compass
-spare shooting glove
-phone

My total weight ready to hit the woods is around 18lbs & when returning to the truck successful around 50lbs.
Cbigbear
Cbigbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:32 am

Way too much. Need to minimize this year. When I rifle hunt, I have a rifle, knife, rope. When bowhunting, things add up alot quicker.
Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella1962 Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:08 pm

I'm making my checklist (yeah, retired military addicted to planning everything to perfection) now. Toilet paper, flashlight, plenty of water for these 90+ degree Georgia days, knife, whistle, snacks, cell phone with battery removed unless I get bit by a snake or break my leg or something - zip ties/cutters for building improvised ground blinds, maps, pen, paper, wallet with all licenses and such, parking pass for my vehicle, plastic trash bag....that's about it other than bow and arrows.

oldfella1962

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down