PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone Scouting

+2
Treetop
Parkersdad
6 posters

Go down

Anyone Scouting Empty Anyone Scouting

Post by Parkersdad Wed May 06, 2015 11:39 pm

I have been using a lot of my turkey hunting time to also scout for deer. I am off Friday and Saturday for the last two days of turkey season and if I am not having any luck I will start scouting for deer all while keeping my ears peeled for a gobble. I have found a few nice new places. Anyone else scouting for deer right now

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Anyone Scouting Empty Re: Anyone Scouting

Post by Treetop Thu May 07, 2015 3:13 pm

Ill be out scouting this Saturday. I haven't been Turkey hunting, it seems i always get caught up this time of year doing other stuff. But scouting is a must though. Trying to learn when to scout ect. everything i have read says to scout hard in the spring and check spots late summer and during the season with minimal impact as possible. I have some producing spots i have hunted the last few years but from year to year it is not the same and like to have back up spots for different scenarios. Last year our apple crop suffered and my main spot is dependent on apples. I had to scramble to locate other areas and figure out why the deer like that area and properly set up.

Treetop

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Thu May 07, 2015 6:30 pm

I'm scouting Friday and Saturday. Forecast is for rain but Oh-well, still got homework to do. I'm trying to find as many new areas as possible this year. I want to focus about 90% of my fall hunts on new spots. Still going to use a few of my good ol' stand-bys, but I definitely plan to change it up this year. Hoping to maybe find some sheds still out there too.
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Treetop Tue May 12, 2015 12:29 pm

I scouted on saturday, spent too much time at a spot that was logged and by the time i got to the spot i wanted to scout it was getting late in the day. Did a quick walk in and found some sign but found that i need to find a better access point to scout the area i targeted a climb up a 300 foot hill will get you sweaty real quick. Found a positive though, the apple trees have budding flowers all over them. looks like it will be a good apple harvest this year. thats a bonus for my early october spots.

Treetop

Back to top Go down

Post by DirtyGator Thu May 28, 2015 12:12 am

I got out a couple weekends ago. First place I checked out was a spot I have always had sign but no luck. Got there with My four year old and as soon as we walked around the corner into the small clearing we seen three standing there. I didn't want to spook them, but the boy was so excited we moved in a little closer to watch, got to about 50 yards. I was surprised how quite He was. Just think, I didn't even try this spot last year and just about given up on it.
DirtyGator
DirtyGator
FORUM STATE REP
FORUM STATE REP

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Thu May 28, 2015 8:24 am

Actually seeing deer on a scouting trip makes the whole trip worthwhile. Good luck to you next year

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Fri May 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Scouting Saturday and Sunday. I'm hoping its not too hot or humid, don't wanna sweat inside this dang cast. Still gotta wear it for another week Sad but I've been stuck inside since Monday so I need to hit the woods! I'm gettin cabin fever! affraid
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Treetop Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:56 pm

DirtyGator wrote:I got out a couple weekends ago. First place I checked out was a spot I have always had sign but no luck. Got there with My four year old and as soon as we walked around the corner into the small clearing we seen three standing there. I didn't want to spook them, but the boy was so excited we moved in a little closer to watch, got to about 50 yards. I was surprised how quite He was. Just think, I didn't even try this spot last year and just about given up on it.

Now you just have to determine if they stop using that area for a reason during the season. Maybe there is a food source near by that gets depleted by the time the season comes around or maybe a summer bedding area they stop using come fall.

Treetop

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:23 pm

Scouted today!!!! It was so awesome being in the deer woods with my kids. We checked four new spots and made some simple ground blinds at three of them. I cannot wait to try these spots. These areas are completely devoid of human activity from what I can tell. One spot I'm particularly excited about looks very good; its about 20 yards out from an inside corner of a super thick swamp. I found multiple trails going thru the immediated area and rubs from last year. The prevailing winds will be in my favor and I can access it well without disturbing the deer.

"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness." 2 Peter 1:3
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by north woods archer Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:46 pm

Scouting with maps, topos, Google earth, etc, right now. My early season huntin area is a wildlife refuge. Not permitted in till opening day. The refuge is made up of small practicals along the coast. Looking at Mapes for cover, funnells, & hard to get areas.
north woods archer
north woods archer
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:37 am

Turkey season always proves invaluable to me for deer scouting. I always seem to trip over a new spot I hadn't given a second thought, or find some clue that factors in to what I had been seeing last season that's certain to help this coming year. I think it's because you cover so much ground chasing birds.
SlowBow
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down