PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My take on mechanical broadheads

5 posters

Go down

My take on mechanical broadheads Empty My take on mechanical broadheads

Post by Parkersdad Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:41 pm

I have always been a fixed head. This year I decided to try a mechanical broadhead. The broadhead did their work just fine. The problem I have with a mechanical Broadhead is once they go through a deer and hit the ground it takes a lot to clean them up. I could not get the blades to close and I did not have the tiny screwdriver to take them out. I may keep one in my quiver but I think I'm going back to my slick trick or thunderheads. I like being able to pop the blades out and stick new ones in without using a tool. This is only my opinion

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

My take on mechanical broadheads Empty Re: My take on mechanical broadheads

Post by SlowBow Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:02 pm

Dana uses mechanicals as well. We discard it after she makes a kill. We have also found they like to ricochet on impact, and one blade opens on a rib  or hide if the deer is angled before the others do.

Seems to push the blade off at a strong angle after impact. This can be good, and lance the projectile up into the bread basket, or it can cause problems, shooting it off out the gut resulting in clogged exit holes and a poor bloodtrail.
SlowBow
SlowBow
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Parkersdad Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:27 pm

What broad head do you prefer slowbow?

Parkersdad
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by SlowBow Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:15 am

I've been shooting 125 grain 3 blade Muzzy for a while now. I like the replaceable blades, saves a few dollars in the long run, and I can practice with the arrows I want to hunt with, and then just slip in some brand new blades and have confidence they will hit well. They can be a pain to get to fly properly though, you have to have your bow well tuned. I used to shoot Thunderheads, but for some reason, when NAP took over that brand, I couldn't get them to hit well, the same reason I had stopped shooting Muzzy. But when I switched back with my new Hoyt, I've had no problems with them.
SlowBow
SlowBow

http://www.camochairproductions.com

Back to top Go down

Post by north woods archer Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:03 pm

Last year I started using a 2-blade Rage. My arrows fly very nice with them. Cutting diameter is great. Also like the practice tips available, allows me to set up identical practice arrows. I don't reuse my broadheads, keep them as trophies.
north woods archer
north woods archer
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by madeforthewoods Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:39 pm

This year I intend to use the Xecutioner heads. They are a flip-back type mechanical, but in online testing and my own backyard testing they open completely on impact. They have a 2.3 inch cut diameter and are so sharp I actually shaved skin off my finger tip without realizing it. I thought I had a piece of tape stuff to my finger then realized it was skin! I can't wait to try them hunting this fall.
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

Post by scrub buck Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:26 pm

I've shot deer with both fixed and mechanical broadheads for the last couple years I've been using NAP spitfires and really like em I don't bother with replacing blades with them I just pitch em after shooting a deer

scrub buck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down