PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

broadhead sharpening, how are you doing it?

4 posters

Go down

What broadhead sharpening system do you use?

broadhead sharpening, how are you doing it? Vote_lcap0%broadhead sharpening, how are you doing it? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
broadhead sharpening, how are you doing it? Vote_lcap0%broadhead sharpening, how are you doing it? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
broadhead sharpening, how are you doing it? Vote_lcap29%broadhead sharpening, how are you doing it? Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
broadhead sharpening, how are you doing it? Vote_lcap29%broadhead sharpening, how are you doing it? Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
broadhead sharpening, how are you doing it? Vote_lcap13%broadhead sharpening, how are you doing it? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

broadhead sharpening, how are you doing it? Empty broadhead sharpening, how are you doing it?

Post by DIY_guy Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:33 pm

Im starting this poll asking how you accomplish this important task since razor sharp heads are a must have for the serious bowhunter. A lot of people lack the ability to put an edge on a broadhead and it seems plenty are looking for an easy way.

3 bladed fixed heads (re. montec, hellrazoers, Wensel woodsman, ect) are pretty easy to sharpen. If you can roll a toy car on a countertop you can sharpen a 3 blade head. 4 blade can be challenging unless you can disassemble them and reduce them to 4 individual or at least 2 blades but it seems people struggle with sharpening single or two bladed heads.

Lanski and KME and worksharp systems are effective but penny pinching bowhunters done seem eager to part with their money for a quality package so they wing it, dont sharpen the heads or simply dispose of the heads/blades and buy more or they use those dull heads/blades for practice.

THe Lansky package is about $40

KME's package starts at about $50

Spyderco's system is about $55

Worksharp is about $70

all the above are quality and well worth the money (especially if you struggle to keep a consistent blade angle and be able to replicate that angle)

Im thinking about creating a tool for sharpening blades/heads (for replacement blades and/or 2 blade fixed blade heads) that would be simple to use (as simple as the KME or gliding a fixed 3 bladed head on a sharpening stone without worying about blade angle), low cost and would produce a repeatable blade angle as it seems there would be a market for such a thing at a price point of less than $10. Im looking for input from bowhunters. What are your thoughts on accomplishing this task. What would you be looking for?

DIY_guy
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

broadhead sharpening, how are you doing it? Empty Re: broadhead sharpening, how are you doing it?

Post by madeforthewoods Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:04 pm

I do it by hand/eye using a sharpening stone I bought for $1 at the Dollar Tree store on every blade I shoot, both new and used... and I can get my heads pretty dang sharp. Then I usually shoot the head into a closed cell foam target once maybe twice which actually sharpens them even more into a razor edge. Always has worked great for me.
madeforthewoods
madeforthewoods
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 2

Back to top Go down

broadhead sharpening, how are you doing it? Empty Re: broadhead sharpening, how are you doing it?

Post by hoyt Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:18 pm

broadhead sharpening, how are you doing it? Tree%20Shark_zpswbdkvsz5

I hunt with recurves and use the big 2" wide Simmons Tree Shark broadheads. If they need it when new...some do some don't..I'll put the head in Razor Edge Broadhead Clamp and file to angle I want then sharpen razor sharp with 3 sided Jewell Stick.

hoyt
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down

Post by heydeerman Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:58 pm

I use to use a Lansky with stones but it doesn't do as good a job as an Accusharp. That's pretty much all I use anymore. I use a file to take off the grinds then run the Accusharp till they shave. It's quick and easy and easy to touch up when needed?
heydeerman
heydeerman
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER
STATE REP/FOUNDING MEMBER

http://www.tradarchers.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down