PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Welcome to the PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS forum.

On behalf of public land bowhunters, throughout our great nation, I work on this forum almost daily. I am striving to make this forum the very best all public land, bowhunting forum on the internet.

Look around, see if THIS FORUM is something YOU want to be a part of. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so join our forum today! All the best.-
Dave Mullins Forum Creator/Admin/Mod
PUBLIC LAND BOWHUNTERS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scouting for land.

2 posters

Go down

Scouting for land. Empty Scouting for land.

Post by Erick23 Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:07 pm

Hey guys I just joined this forum and am excited about it. I just started hunting again after about a 5 year layoff due to school (i am 20). This past season I hunted in New Jersey in a state forest and out of the whole season I only saw 3 deer. I'm looking into finding a new public land spot because to pay for a hunting club is out of the question for me and plus I like the challenge. Basically my question is, when is the best time of year to physically get into the woods to scout and find your place to set up a stand.

Thanks guys,
Erick

Erick23

Back to top Go down

Scouting for land. Empty Re: Scouting for land.

Post by Posted Boy Gallego Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:20 pm

Hey Erick, welcome. Normally, I would find it a bit odd since Jersey is overrun by deer, but you did go to State Land, and that is always a challenge, anywhere.

One thing to keep in mind is that Jersey allows baiting. Assuming you can also bait on public land, baiting will change deers routes during the season, to go directly to the corn piles. So their patterns will change from the normal foraging ones.

A good time to find their bedding and natural routes are in fresh snow. Follow a set a fresh tracks all day and they will tell you a story of where they feel comfortable bedding and eating and traveling. This of course changes during the seasons different food sources availability, and even more so with corn piles. But at the very least, you'll find their routes to and from and major intersections they use to cross streams and hills.

You will also want to revisit in the early Fall when mass crops such as acorns start falling. Even in season scouting is sometimes needed to actually find them I say.

It's tough no matter what, so hang in there.

Posted Boy Gallego
Posted Boy Gallego
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1
ACTIVE POSTER LEVEL 1

Back to top Go down